It Builds Character

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I don't think she's feeling very independent today

Yesterday, I got an email from a friend who is pregnant. We met when we had the same home daycare provider where we lived before we moved to Minneapolis last summer. Her daughter is 3, the same age as Lauren, so they played a lot together. Also, they beat the crap out of each other. Almost every day, the daycare lady would have a story about how, one minute Lauren and N. would be beating on each other, and the next minute, they were playing together like nothing had happened--like sisters, she would always say. One day, Lauren got mad at N. for some reason and knocked her down in the sandbox and then sat on her head. The daycare lady said she had to hide her laughter as she broke up the fight. (The daycare lady has been doing daycare for over 20 years, so she is very laid back!) I was always worried that N.'s parents would be mad about what Lauren did to their daughter, being that she was their first and only child at the time. But since N. was just as guilty as Lauren, I don't think they ever held it against either of us, which I appreciate. The girls had both been in that daycare since they were infants, so they played together almost everyday for about 2 years. When we moved, they missed each other, and N.'s mom and I were sad that they weren't going to grow up together, as we thought they were going to. So, back to her email. Here is what she had to say:

I thought I'd fill you in on what's going on, in case you haven't yet heard. On Friday I had some minor symptoms of this whole placenta previa pregnancy situation and underwent a bunch of tests and exams. At first I was admitted on a 23 hour hold to get 2 does of steroids for the baby's lungs over 24 hours, then it turned into 'maybe' you can go home tomorrow, then it turned into the high risk consultant saying, we think you should stay for the duration. So...

I am hospitalized for the duration. The hope is I can still make it until July 20th scheduled c-section date, which would have baby girl delivered at 35 weeks 5 days. After that point the risks outweigh the benefits of letting the pregnancy progress any further. N. was born at 35 weeks 4 days, so the situation will likely be similar, with baby staying for 1-2weeks in the level 2 nursery. I just hope and pray that baby doesn't come sooner, as then she'd have to go to the NICU at another hospital while I had to stay here to recover, that would be no fun...

Anyway, thanks to a friend loaning me her laptop, I now have internet access right in my room and after only 3 days here I have already completed 2 books and am into my 3rd, have watched enough TV to last me a lifetime, and have done enough Sudoku puzzles to make my brain spin. I mostly feel fine, have some contractions and very minor bleeding that puts a halt to my day keeping me monitored etc, but otherwise I am allowed to be out of bed, around my room and the floor if all looks good.

N. is very confused and asks me daily if I have to stay at the hospital 'forever'. I really wanted these last few weeks to cherish the short time left we have with N. as our only baby, but now it is a little bit more difficult. Tim is thrown into doing it all with N., cooking, groceries, house stuff, daycare, Copper, AND finding time to come up and bring N. to the hospital to visit. A lot of pressure and responsibility... N. loves the hospital bed 'buttons' turning lights on and off and raising and lowering the bed, as well as watching movies (the hospital has on demand free movies) and N. is enjoying the food mommy gets to order (the hospital has room service). She asks me constantly what the baby is saying or how she's doing. She loves seeing the other new babies up on this maternity floor... she makes inquiries to where I am (usually during her bedtime routine or first thing in the morning) and misses dancing as 'a whole family' when we have her lullaby music on and read books before bedtime...which makes me feel sad for her. She asks each night before they leave if I'll be 'lonely' here by myself, which brings tears to my eyes, but I ensure her I am in good hands...

Anyway. I just wanted to let you know the latest. Thanks to all of you for your support with books, magazines, the laptop, phonecalls, e-mails etc etc. I would MUCH appreciate continued e-mails as the next month may feel awful long (especially how long the last 3 days have felt). Please also give support to Tim in anyway you can. I know so many have offered to watch N. here and there which will be a savior to his sanity, just to get out and mow the lawn or to come up to the hospital without her on occasion. He's the one who will need the break, I'm just bored :)... Keep us in your prayers that we make it until July 20th and baby girl is healthy and thriving.

She's had a miscarriage in the past, and this pregnancy started out as twins, but she lost one early on. I'm trying to figure out what I can do for her to help out, but being over an hour away limits things. I can't just swing by and pick up N. for the night--she wouldn't even remember who we are. I want to send her something to pass the time while she is in the hospital, and I'm open to ideas. Clearly she's got books, etc. to keep her busy, but what can I send that's original and that she'll really appreciate and be able to use while she's in the hospital? I really feel for her and her family, being separated during this last month of her pregnancy. I just hope all continues to go well, and the baby remains healthy. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers, and let me know if you have any good ideas for what I can send!

Happy Fourth of July!!!

3 Comments:

  • Tell her about blogging. She writes really well, it would be a good way for her to record what's going on with the pregnancy and N., it could help keep her family and friends updated, and it could help her find a little "community" of people to interact with when she's feeling bored.

    Then make a lasagne and grab a bag of salad and some rolls/garlic bread. Deliver it to their house for her husband and N.

    Happy Fourth!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 04, 2006 11:15 AM  

  • I agree with Sharkey on the blogging thing.....I can waste hours reading other people's blogs! I don't write as much anymore but if she's got the time and the stories, she should be able to pass hours that way as well!

    I will absolutely, positively keep her and her entire family in my thoughts.

    Happy Fourth to you CB and your family!

    By Blogger The Q, at July 04, 2006 12:13 PM  

  • Definitely the blog thing.

    It sounds like she's got everything she needs, so that makes it tough. How about a good old-fashioned letter or two or three?

    Although it's fun to get email, it still excited to get snail mail.

    By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at July 05, 2006 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home