It Builds Character

Friday, April 14, 2006

Hoppy Easter!

Not only Happy Easter, but Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, and Happy Birthday! Wow, it's going to be a busy weekend! Tomorrow is my birthday, and I'll be 34 years old. For a couple of reasons, it really doesn't even seem like it's tomorrow already. The first reason is that I'm getting older, and birthdays just aren't the big deal that they used to be. The second reason being that the next day is Lauren's birthday. She was apparently hell-bent on not sharing with me, because 3 years ago when I was induced on my birthday at about 8am, nothing happened all day long. Most boring birthday ever! At 3:13am the next day, she finally decided we'd waited long enough, and made her first appearance. So because our birthdays are only a day apart, I'm thinking more about hers than mine, which, I would have to believe, is pretty typical for a mom.

On April 15, 2000, my 28th birthday, Sharkey and JP made it official. They had a beautiful wedding ceremony that we were all a part of. I was the Matron of Honor (I hate the word "matron", it makes me sound old and fat), Alex was the cutest ring bearer alive, and Jason was an usher. Catherine was just 13 months at the time, so her required part was to sit and be quiet during the ceremony. If I remember correctly, she took direction well. I wish I had a picture of Alex at the reception in digital form (or had a scanner that worked) because, let me tell you, that kid danced his butt off that night. I have a picture somewhere of him totally sweaty and red-faced and sucking down a Sprite that he had gotten from a newly made friend--a 60-ish lady who was a server there. She doted on him all night and kept bringing him whatever he wanted. By the end of the night, he was totally spent, but was ready to keep going anyway. I was holding him, and finally I said, "Alex, lay your head down on my shoulder." He laid it down, and was immediately O-U-T! Apparently, he thought he needed an invitation to stop moving and give in to the exhaustion. He got to be too heavy pretty quickly, so we set 2 chairs next to each other and laid him down on them so he could sleep more comfortably. He had a great night!

So anyway, that's what's going on this weekend, in addition to Easter. I'll leave you with a photo of the present that I got from some friends at work. They gave me all the crappy Easter candy that I love. It seems that all of the items in the basket are things that either you love or you hate, and I love them all. Peeps are best if you slash the wrapper and allow them to dry out overnight. Chewy and tough--that's how I like 'em. Cadbury Creme Eggs--YUM! (Spell-check wanted me to change "Cadbury" to "Cadaver"--Ewww!) There's also a bag of Brach's Chicks and Rabbits, which are like the orange Circus Peanuts that you can buy, except these are shaped like...well, you know, chicks and rabbits. There are also some Starburst jellybeans littered along the bottom of the basket. Who could ask for more?


3 Comments:

  • Peeps creep me out but I'm totally with you on the Cadaver Eggs. I love them too! My Mom still buys my Brother and I each one every year for Easter. We used to eat between 10-12 EACH every Easter but now as adults we can only handle ONE egg per year :-)

    Happy Easter to you and your entire, beautiful family.

    Happy Birthday to you!

    I'll have to go wish those love birds Sharkey and J.P. a Happy Anniversary

    Last but not least, Happy Birthday to Lauren!!!

    By Blogger The Q, at April 14, 2006 4:40 PM  

  • Ugh--the circus peanuts! Disgusting!

    We frequently quote Alex around here. When he was so hot and sweaty and tired from dancing, J.P. said, "Are you gettin' tired, buddy?" In a loud whiny voice, Alex said, "I am NOT tired!" He was hilarious that night.

    Happy, happy birthday! With being out of the country this week (it was only Canada, but it sounds like a bigger deal when I say it that way, right?) and trying to get ready for church and Easter stuff myself, I haven't gotten your card (or Lauren's) in the mail yet. But we're thinking of you--I'll probably give you a call later at Dad's. Have fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 15, 2006 8:08 AM  

  • Hoppy everything! Hoppy birthday, CB! Hoppy birthday, Lauren! Hoppy anniversary, Sharkey! Sharkey sent me a wedding picture. It was beautimous! I'm sure the entire affair was spectacular.

    Hoppy Easter, too!

    By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at April 15, 2006 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home