It Builds Character

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hotter than Hades

Guess whose A/C broke? Yup, when I got home from work yesterday, the thermostat in our house read 90 degrees. I was not a happy camper! Then Jason went outside to take a look at the A/C unit itself, and thought he figured out what the problem was. There was a box on the house by the unit that had a couple of red lights lit up, and underneath the lights was a sticker that told us that if the red lights were on, then it meant that our electric company had put us into the mode where they cycle the A/C on and off to conserve energy. Once we figured that out, I was relieved, thinking that was the only problem. However, it did not come back on in any resemblance of a timely manner. It was still out when we went to bed last night. Luckily, it cooled off pretty nicely, and we didn't melt during the night. When I left for work this morning, it still wasn't working, so then I was getting pissed. But then Jason called me before he left for work, and said that it seemed to be working fine. Whew! I was very relieved. But then when I got home from work today, it was 90 degrees in the house again! I called the electric company, and the lady explained that, yes, they are cycling the A/C on and off, but that it only goes in 15 minute increments, so we shouldn't even really notice it. Hmmm...not sounding good. While Jason was at work tonight, I had a friend come over and take a look at it. He had a couple of ideas of what it might be. No such luck. Nothing he tried worked. So now I'm thinking that we may be in trouble. Why couldn't this have happened on a Monday? Tomorrow is Friday, so something needs to be done right away or we're gonna be in trouble. Either we'll have to have someone come out over the weekend and we'll pay through the nose (which we can't afford), or we'll have to suffer through the weekend, with temperatures at or over 100 degrees, with horrible humidity. If we do the latter, I'm guessing we'll be hanging out at the Mall of America or something for a good share of the weekend. Ugh. This stinks! I guess we could go to the pool, but the thought of everybody else and their brother being there with us is not very appealing. I'm totally grasping at straws here, but I'm hoping that the cycling on and off of the A/C blew some sort of fuse or something. But when I'm more realistic, I remind myself that the A/C was new with the house in 1991. Not exactly still under warranty.

Ooh...I just talked to our next door neighbor. She stopped over to see if we had enough fans to get us by. That was nice of her! Anyway, she said that she thought that the A/C was not original with the house, but that the people who lived here before us put it in more recently. I still don't know where that will get us, but it gives me a little more hope that maybe it's not completely shot. As you are all basking in the loveliness that is your air conditioned house this weekend, think of me and my family sweating our asses off!

On a happier note, look at the beautiful butterfly that I picked up at daycare this afternoon...
















2 Comments:

  • Soooo sorry about your air conditioning! Man that sucks big time.

    Your butterfly is beyond cute by the way :-)

    I have an air conditioner on wheels (that doesn't require water) that I'd lend you in a heart beat! I bought it for the cat room but now I leave them out all day, so they don't need it. Damn. I wish we lived closer.

    By Blogger The Q, at July 28, 2006 12:02 AM  

  • Put bowls of water in front of the fans, unless it's already too humid. That might help...a little.

    Love that little butterfly. She's a cutie. I bet that put a smile on your face.

    By Blogger ieatcrayonz, at July 28, 2006 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home