It Builds Character

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Don't hurt yourselves

There are a couple of ladies at work that, I feel, are in danger of hurting themselves. No, it's not depression that's getting to them, and they aren't going to hurt each other, either. I fear that they will get hurt patting themselves on the back.

In the last month or so, we have been working on 2 huge projects that have come in. It was a total of 47 new jobs that needed to be worked on. These 2 jobs overlapped by a week or so, and it got really crazy. It was a lot of work for both of them, anyone in the office would admit to that.

The thing that's driving me crazy is that they both keep talking about how many hours they put in yesterday, last week, in the last month. They come into my office and tell me. Then I hear them go to the next office and tell that person. Sometimes, I'm not sure who they're telling, but make no mistake, I can hear them telling someone about it. There have been a couple of days where I can hear one of them tell each person as they come in for the day. "I put in 30 hours over the weekend!" "I put in 51 hours last week, and I was off Thursday and Friday!" "I worked 80 hours last week!" Enough already! You know how sometimes, you tell a couple of people a story about something that happened to you, and then you realize that, since you've now repeated it a couple of times, it's probably time to shut up? I don't think they have this sense. I think they don't realize that because no one else talks about all the hours they work, that they're not actually doing it.

The other thing about this is that they are both such control freaks that they won't let anyone else help them with their workload. They have actually exchanged heated emails about stepping on each others toes, and trying to do too much of the other person's work. I think the only thing that is keeping me from throttling the two of them is that they're not complaining about the hours, it's more bragging that they've given so much of themselves. This led me to realize the reason that they keep announcing their late nights--they want to make sure that the bosses hear this because they're lookin' for a big fat bonus!

2 Comments:

  • GAH! I hate that crap...that's one thing I don't miss about "Corporate America" (or a "real job"...whatever you want to call it)

    I worked in the payroll industry prior to my *cough* early retirement (or "starting our own business"....whatever you want to call it) and when I'd hear people talking like that at year end (or even quarter end), I'd mutter "Don't break your arm". They'd look around like they weren't quite understanding it...then when I was out of earshot I'd say "patting yourself on the damn back!"

    By Blogger The Q, at March 21, 2006 11:39 PM  

  • I believe that's called verbal masterbation.
    We have that in my office, too, but mostly with the higher-ups.
    :o'

    By Blogger I'm not here. , at March 29, 2006 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home