It Builds Character

Monday, December 04, 2006

I am old

I turned on the Billboard Music Awards tonight, hoping to catch a couple of good performances. I had heard that Rascal Flatts, one of my favorite bands, was up for 5 or so awards, and also that Carrie Underwood was up for some as well.

I guess I've been spoiled by awards shows in the country music genre. The artists dress respectably. When they sing, you can understand what they're saying. During their performances, they don't have half-naked women gyrating all over the stage. Country artists are, for the most part, average, good, humble people. To me, that's the appeal. While I do like some other kinds of music, country is my favorite, and watching the Billboard Awards shows me why. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes while watching.

Shortly after I first tuned in, a group of 5 or so women and a man came out to present an award. I didn't catch who the group of women were or who the man was, but the women were skanky looking and dressed in what looked like negligees. Some of the negligees were really short and some were a bit longer, but all were skimpy, and the one woman in one of the longer negligees kept her hand right by her crotch the whole time, kind of pulling her dress back so she could show more leg.

If I remember correctly, they presented an award to some rapper guy whose name I can't remember, other than it was 2 initials, like J.T. or I.C. or something. Whatever. He came up on stage with his pants belted below his butt and his underwear hanging out. I can't stand that! (The "old" in me is starting to show now.)

After that, Gwen Stefani came out and shared the stage with some fake sheep and proceeded to yodel. Her outfit was interesting, but not completely outlandish. A bit later, Carmen Electra and Chris Kattan came out. Just watching her made me want to throw up. She kept tossing her hair around like the bimbo that she is. Then when Chris mentioned something about the sheep that were just on the stage, she actually asked him if he was going to hook up with one of them later! I think he was a little pissed off, and rightly so. What a moron!

As I was watching this horrible show, I knew that I was going to write a post about it, so I was kind of making mental notes about what I was going to mention. So when I heard that Courtney Love was going to be presenting the next award, I thought, "Jackpot! She'll be stoned out of her mind and I can totally trash her!" Even she disappointed me. She appeared to be completely sober and she didn't slur her words any more than any of the other idiots. What a letdown.

The one high point of the night was when Carrie Underwood won an award for Album of the Year. Unfortunately, Rascal Flatts didn't win the one award that was presented while I was watching. I don't know about the others that they were nominated for--I didn't catch the first part of the show. Somehow I feel confident that I didn't miss much.

I realize that it's only a matter of time until I'm yelling at my kids, or random kids at stop lights for that matter, to "turn that horrible music down!" That's fine with me. For the time being, it's my kids who are yelling at me to turn my country music down when we're in the van. But judging by the way they sing along, I don't think they really mind. And as long as I have control over the music they listen to, it will always be country music. I do have to admit though, that I find it very cute when Lauren asks me if I have any Metallica on my iPod. Jason is trying to corrupt her. I will prevail.

6 Comments:

  • If you're old, what does that make me? Don't answer that!

    Lauren asking about Metallica . . . that's hilarious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 05, 2006 6:51 PM  

  • We're "Ancient" Sharkey. You know it's bad when they have "Classic 80's" shows on VH1. I'll send Lauren a JP Mega Mix CD. Then she can be a country, metal, alternative, pop listening girl.

    By Blogger JP, at December 05, 2006 7:33 PM  

  • Sharkey, as you can imagine, it is very cute when Lauren asks about Metallica. The other band she likes to listen to is the Foo Fighters. Just imagine her little voice requesting "Foo Fighters." It kills me every time.

    JP, ancient or not, 80's shows on VH1 are the best! Go ahead and send Lauren your mix. She's very accepting, and would love it. Especially because it would be from you.

    By Blogger Character Builder, at December 06, 2006 11:54 PM  

  • I missed the entire show and would've enjoyed any performance by Rascal Flatts.
    Do you realize how great their lyrics in the song, "I Wish", can work so well in a "holiday" card?
    Let me know what you think.

    By Blogger CPVegan, at December 09, 2006 7:18 PM  

  • Hey thanks for the recap! I hardly ever watch those award shows because I'm afraid my face will freeze and my face will be permanently etched with a mixture of disbelief and disgust. (Like the one it was wearing last night while my husband watched parts of "Victoria Beckham Comes to America" or something like that... seriously?

    By Blogger Unknown, at July 20, 2007 5:40 PM  

  • And I thought I was the only "old one" !!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2007 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home